Pages

Saturday, November 10, 2012

My First Solar Projection.


 My desire to make solar projection and observe the transit of Venus, made me to buy a telescope. I cam to my home town Kakinada form Hyderabad.  

At my region the transit of Venus starts almost one hour before sun rise and it was in progress during sun rise. we can not observe the transit of Venus even from the start of sun rise, because building around my house. So I decided to go to sea shore at the early morning before the time of sun rise. To observe and capture the transit form the beginning of the sun rise.

On morning  05:30 AM of  6 jun 2012 me and my brother are at sea shore of Kakinada with telescope and solar filters. There was something I was suspecting and it disappointed us.  The sky near horizon is partly cloudy. it is very hard to find sun rise. after few minutes the sun is partly cam visible from clouds. Transit is in progress and we can able to see it through solar filters. Now the sun intensity is not too high and also not enough to project through my telescope. As time passes that sun intensity increases  and can able to see even from our home. we went to home and fixed the telescope in its position.

Since it was my first solar projection I'm not confident about. I just fitted the telescope on tripod and placed a sheet of white paper in front of eye peace, pointing the telescope approximately towards sun. Now I started adjusting the angle so I may see the projection. the focus is not clear. But when I adjusted the eyepiece focus slowly a dark spot appeared. to make sure that was not a dust particle on telescope or on paper i have done some rough checks. I started adjusting the focus of the telescope eyepiece the dot appears more brighter

Need for solar Projection.

Observing the Sun can be dangerous without the proper precautions. Looking directly at the Sun without adequate protective filters can result in irreversible eye damage. I have chosen the screen-projection method. You don't look at the Sun directly; instead a telescope casts a magnified image of the Sun onto a screen.

 Do NOT look directly at the Sun! Do not use so called filters. Over exposed film, smoked glass etc. used as filters is NOT, repeate NOT safe. Never use eyepiece filters for telescopes. These can crack at inopportune times and destroy your eyesight.

How to make a simple solar projection equipment your self.

 Things you require 

  1. Any kind of telescope
  2. A card board sheet ( rough )
  3. A white paper.
  4. you may need a camera if you want to capture it.
 Make a hole to the card board  such that your telescope fits into it like this as show in figure and place a white paper in front of  the telescope  that's it. you have done your equipment to study sun and observe the astronomical events regarding sun is ready.

 

A Successful Projection

 

 

1 comment:

  1. your article is fine but it could be even better if you made that scheamtic look more professional.

    greetings from Poland!

    ReplyDelete

Please Do not for get to comment